Hotels in Maryland Near Washington, DC
Finding a hotel outside of Washington, DC in Maryland is easy, choosing the right location is more difficult. Luckily for travelers coming to the area there are options north, south and east of the city along I-495 / 95 and I-270. Those coming from BWI (Baltimore Airport) will also be able to find hotels close to the MARC station that shares a station with the DC Metro. Ask anyone who has visited Washington, DC and they will tell you that using the Metro system will make your life easier. Selecting one of these hotels can minimize driving and makes getting in and out of DC a breeze, not to mention alleviates issues with finding parking in downtown. One of the best pieces of advice is to keep in mind hotel rates drop by $50 to $75 during the weekend in DC. That being said, if your planning visiting on the weekend keep in mind the better neighborhoods and hotels will be much more affordable. Here is an overview of the best hotels in Maryland near DC.
Cheap Hotels in Maryland Near DC
As for finding cheap hotels in Maryland near Washington, DC two stations stand out. Those are the Branch Ave station on the Green line south east of DC and the Shady Grove station on the Red line north of DC. Shady Grove is conveniently just off I-270, and Branch Ave is just off I-495 / 95. Hotel rates average below $115 weekday or weekend. A ride into DC will take between 30 to 40 minutes from either station. Either location is suburbia, and guests won’t find much in the way of trendy restaurants, or things to do within walking distance of the station. Read more about hotel options at Branch Ave, and Shady Grove.
Other Metro stations to consider for affordable hotels in Maryland near Washington, DC are Largo Town Center, or New Carrollton. These stations are also relatively close to Fedex field, and east of DC off I-495. Either station has hotels that are within walking distance to the Metro. Rates at these hotels are usually more expensive than Shady Grove or Branch Ave. Similar to those options the immediate area around the station won’t offer much in terms of unique restaurants or attractions. College Park, and Greenbelt near the University of Maryland offer affordable hotel choices, but neither of these stations have hotels within walking distance.
Best Cheap Hotel in Maryland Near DC
Take a look at the Holiday Inn at Branch Ave. The hotels is 3 blocks from the Metro station and has some of the most affordable rates out of all the hotel options in Maryland near DC. Read more about the Holiday Inn at Branch Ave, or check rates below.
Best Neighborhoods in Maryland with Metro Stations & Hotels Outside DC
If a more inviting neighborhood that has plenty to do within walking distance of your hotel and the Metro is a requirement travelers should consider Bethesda and or Silver Spring. Bethesda the stronger of the two in terms of amenities like restaurants, shops and bars. It also offers the ability to bike into DC without crossing any major roads along the Capital Crescent trail. Bike riders who are comfortable riding 15 miles a day will be delighted with this rail trail that dead ends at the Georgetown waterfront. From here you can quickly pedal over to the National Mall. Bethesda is second to none in terms of restaurants, and ride time into DC is about about 20 minutes with stops at the National Zoo in between. With the added perks comes costs. Travelers can anticipate paying for parking at any hotel in Bethesda. Read more about hotels in Bethesda here. As for Silver Spring, there is a town center with plenty of shops and restaurants near the both the hotels and Metro. Similar to Bethesda expect to pay of parking. Read more about hotel options near Silver Spring here.
Best Maryland Hotel Near DC in the Best Neighborhood
Take a look at the Bethesda Court. This hotel often has the most competitive rates in Bethesda, and is only a few blocks from the Metro. It is praised for being a boutique hotel. A nice alternative to the chain hotels. Read more about Bethesda Court, or check rates below.
Best Hotels in Maryland Near DC for Families
Families who are looking for hotels with large suite rooms have two main options. Families on tighter budget will want to look into Country Inn and Suites near the Branch Ave Metro station. Hotel room rates usually average under $115 and parking, breakfast and wifi are free. Families with more to spend will like the Hyatt in Bethesda. The Hyatt has double room suites, the hotel sits on top of the Metro so no crossing the street to board the train, not to mention the Hyatt has a rooftop Pool. Still with parking a weekday rate at the Hyatt can easily run over $225. Its important to note that families who can afford the Hyatt rates may want to look into the Capitol Holiday Inn that is within walking distance to all the Smithsonian Museums on the National Mall.
Quick & Dirty on All Maryland Hotels / Neighborhoods Near DC
- Shady Grove – North of DC on I-270 / Red line, Affordable hotels, hotels not easily within walking distance, long commute, suburbia, little to do
- White Flint or Twinbrook – North of DC on I-270 / Red line, uninspiring area, strip malls, busy traffic, easy access to I-270. Okay hotel rates on weekends.
- Bethesda – NW of DC on Red line, affluent urban downtown filled with restaurants, no free parking, hotel can be expensive, bike to DC, best option in terms of neighborhood.
- Silver Spring – NE of DC on Red line, the little brother to Bethesda, not quite as good, but downtown with restaurants, slightly better rates, hotels are still walkable to metro but a little further than you would find in Bethesda.
- Greenbelt – NE of DC on Yellow & Green line, access to the MARC for BWI transportation, cheap hotels, suburbia, area so so, no hotels within walking distance to the Metro
- College Park – NE of DC on Yellow and Green line, University of Maryland, access to the MARC for BWI transportation, cheap hotels, suburbia, area so so, no hotels within walking distance to the Metro.
- New Carrollton – East of DC on Orange line, Access to the MARC & Amtrack, suburbia, close to Fedex field, good rates for a nice hotel, I-495
- Largo Town Center – East of DC on Orange, Blue, Silver line, Access to the MARC & Amtrack, suburbia, close to Fedex field, good rates for a nice hotel, I-495
- Branch Ave – South East of DC on Green line, suburbia, good rates, suitable hotels, I-495